The world is still talking about the 58th Annual Grammy Awards – between Kendrick Lamar putting on for the culture and Beyonce surprising us in an unforgettable wedding dress, it was a great show and a great night for fashion.
Still, there were some disappointments. Mid-show, the cancellation of Rihanna’s “Kiss It Better” performance spread like wildfire. Viewers were also expecting all-time favorite Lauryn Hill to hit the stage, but we soon learned that wasn’t happening either.
Rumor had it, Lauryn would not bless us with those Miseducated vocals due to the gig’s “last-minute” nature.
In a statement, her camp explained her performance was advertised without confirmation and furthermore, was meant to be a surprise.
Her original statement went as follows:
The Grammys announced a performance by Ms. Lauryn Hill prematurely and without approval. Ms. Hill had concerts all weekend, leaving no time to prepare, and was uncertain she would even be able to make it to L.A. in time to rehearse for the event. Any performance that could have happened was never confirmed, and should not have been advertised as such. Ms. Hill was invited to do a collaboration with an artist she appreciates. The performance was intended to be a surprise and unfortunately due to its last minute nature, was unable to come to fruition.
To which, Recording Academy President Neil Portnow responded:
It’s a disappointment to us and a disappointment to her. Our intention was, and we were ready, right up to the moment of the performance, for her to step up on stage.” He said she attended rehearsal. “She was there for it, completed it and left the building. And then she did not get back in time to make the show. I’m sorry, that’s the bottom line. That’s the truth. That’s unfortunate. I guess those things happen.”
Now, Lauryn’s reps have put out another statement, again emphasizing that the surprise performance was never confirmed:
In regards to the comments this morning from The Grammys, CBS did announce Ms. Hill’s performance, there were official Grammy television ads that ran for a couple of days naming Ms. Hill as a performer on the show. Her camp was unhappy about this. They had made it clear from the start that although Ms. Hill was going to attempt to make the show, she could not confirm, as there were too many logistical issues that could potentially prevent the performance from happening. The performance was also supposed to be a surprise. This was discussed with Grammy organizers, and the TV spots were pulled. As previously mentioned, Ms. Hill attempted a last minute rush to LA, to see if this could happen, but unfortunately timing that day kept it from being a reality. Ms. Hill truly appreciated the invitation, and the efforts made by all parties to try and make the performance happen.
Did the Academy try to pressure Lauryn into performing by announcing she’d be there, even with the knowledge that she might not be able to make it? Either way, we’d like to see the legend on stage next year.
Leave your thoughts below.
SOURCE: Pitchfork | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
RED CARPET RECAP: The 58th Annual Grammy Awards
1. Wiz wore Chucks to the Grammys because, of course he would.Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. Sam Smith suited up!Source:Getty 2 of 24
3. Pharrell with his wife, Helen. Are you feeling his platinum blonde 'do?Source:Getty 3 of 24
4. Lady Gaga's David Bowie-inspired ensemble.Source:Getty 4 of 24
5. Janelle Monae in Jean Paul Gaultier.Source:Getty 5 of 24
6. Kendrick Lamar just won the first award of the night.Source:Getty 6 of 24
7. Justin Bieber walked the red carpet with his little brother.Source:Getty 7 of 24
8. How cute.Source:Getty 8 of 24
9. Fetty Wap cleans up nicely.Source:Getty 9 of 24
10. Chrissy Teigen definitely has the glow!Source:Getty 10 of 24
11. Ariana Grande in Romona Keveza.Source:Getty 11 of 24
12. Ciara and Russell Wilson are all smiles.Source:Getty 12 of 24
13. SLAY.Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. Tori Kelly rocking green.Source:Getty 14 of 24
15. Looking suave, Big Sean.Source:Getty 15 of 24
16. We can't wait for Adele's performance tonight.Source:Getty 16 of 24
17. We're here for this couple! The Weeknd and Bella HadidSource:Getty 17 of 24
18. Faith Evans in classic black and white.Source:Getty 18 of 24
19. Are you feeling Zendaya's mullet?Source:Getty 19 of 24
20. Hello, Taylor!Source:Getty 20 of 24
21. Bestie goals?Source:Getty 21 of 24
22. Serving! We see you, Selena.Source:Getty 22 of 24
23. Giuliana Rancic glowing in gold.Source:Getty 23 of 24
24. Vanessa Simmons looks GORGEOUS.Source:Getty 24 of 24
Lauryn Hill’s Camp Says She “Truly Appreciated” Grammy Invitation In New Statement was originally published on globalgrind.com