Regina King, armed with her good wig, scarf and best intentions to save her family, stares in the mirror at the woman gazing back. She examines herself and the task that lie ahead.
It’s a powerful scene in Barry Jenkins screen adaptation of James Baldwin’s classic novel.
Today, Regina scored a Golden Globe nomination for best actress, adding fervor to buzz that she’ll also land an Oscar nomination.
We caught up with Regina and the cast of If Beale Street Could Talk at the Toronto International Film Festival ahead of the world premiere, where she opened up about the scene that will carry her through award season.
“Every woman who I know that wear wigs, it’s not necesarily becuase they don’t like their hair or their hair isn’t long or short. It’s armor you’re putting on to do whatever you’re going to do,” she explained.
Watch her talk about it above.
If Beale Street Could Talk hits theaters December 14.
Golden Globes 2018: All The Black Nominees
1. Best Motion Picture - DramaSource:WENN 1 of 14
2. Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - DramaSource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Best DirectorSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Best Supporting Actress in a Motion PictureSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Best Supporting Actor in a Motion PictureSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Best Original Song in a Motion PictureSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Best Screenplay in a Motion PictureSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Best Animated FilmSource:Getty 8 of 14
9. Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for TelevisionSource:Getty 9 of 14
10. Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for TelevisionSource:Getty 10 of 14
11. Best performance by an Actor in a TV Series - DramaSource:Getty 11 of 14
12. Best performance by an Actor in a TV Series - DramaSource:Getty 12 of 14
13. Best Performance by an Actor in a TV series - Musical or ComedySource:Getty 13 of 14
14. Best TV series - DramaSource:Getty 14 of 14
Regina King Opens Up About Her Praiseworthy Scene In ‘If Beale Street Could Talk’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com