During NBA Countdown on Mother’s Day, the ESPN crew paid tribute to Jalen Rose’s mother who passed earlier this year.
Rose was overcome with emotions as he was brought to tears as he spoke about his mother.
“This is the first time in my life that I didn’t have my mother or grandmother on Mother’s Day,” Rose said. “It’s been tough, for me and my family, but I’m gonna be strong. I got a lot of people who rely on me, a lot of people who love me, lot of people who believe in me.”
As Rose breaks down his college Maria Taylor walks over to console him, placing her hand on his shoulder.
“She had two kids when she graduated from high school. We were supposed to be a statistic,” Rose said. “It’s really tough, I’m just happy that the name Jalen is going to carry our legacy, carry her legacy.”
Rose’s mother Jeanne Rose passed away in February of lung cancer at the age of 79.
The former NBA player detailed how his mother created the name. “Jalen” is a combination of his father’s name James and maternal uncle Leonard. According to BabyNames.com, she was the creator of the name and it became popular after Rose became a star player at Michigan State.
Twitter Reacts To LeBron James Ripping NBA Playoff Play-In
1 of 10
LeBron James on the play-in tournament: "Whoever came up with that s--- needs to be fired"— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) May 3, 2021
2 of 10
If the Lakers are playing the Warriors in the play-in tournament, I suspect whoever came up with it will get a raise instead. https://t.co/aREsJjmbLy— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) May 3, 2021
3 of 10
How LeBron looking at Adam Silver pic.twitter.com/z5fDPOC8YS— Josiah Johnson (@KingJosiah54) May 3, 2021
4 of 10
LeBron 🤝 Mark Cuban— Sean Highkin (@highkin) May 3, 2021
Not raising a strong objection to the play-in until it looked like his team might be in it
5 of 10
Maybe LeBron can find a new gaming chair with an enhanced clutch gene.— Skip Bayless (@RealSkipBayless) May 3, 2021
6 of 10
How it started how it's going pic.twitter.com/tkd6qdFNzK— Brody Logan (@BrodyLogan) May 3, 2021
7.7 of 10
8 of 10
good morning everyone I had a wild dream the Lakers on the verge of missing playoffs and LeBron worried about a gaming chair— LakeShowYo (@LakeShowYo) May 3, 2021
9 of 10
LeBron was praising the play-in tournament last season 😂. He just doesn’t like it now cause his ass is involved pic.twitter.com/yhhP0VmaUY— Cade Canaan (@CadeCanaan) May 3, 2021
- ‘Where My Dogs At?’ TVOne’s ‘Uncensored’ To Air DMX’s Final Interview
- Normani Gives Us Fashion Goals In Sheer Mugler Ensemble
- Less Than A Year After Losing US Senate Race, David Perdue Sets His Sights On Georgia Governor
- Chloe Bailey Is A ‘Girl On Fire’ In Red Hair And Sparkly Curve-Hugging Dress
- Mississippi Governor Challenged On His ‘Culture Of Life’ Fails To Address State’s Overall Poor Health And Well-being
- Miles Morales Returns To Action In Trailer To ‘Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse (Part One)’
- Northern California Man First In The Region To Be Sentenced Under 2009 Federal Hate Crime Law
- Idaho Republican ‘Community Leader’ Freaks Out Over Hershey’s Commercial Featuring Black Family
- City Girls Give Hilarious Speech While Accepting Their ‘Future Is Female’ Award: ‘Some Days We Want To Be Rappers. Next Day We Want To Be With Our Men’
- Yung Joc Denies Being Bad Dog Owner
- Hip-Hop Wired Presents: CRT FRSH [Certified Fresh] Playlist 12.5.21
‘We Were Supposed To Be A Statistic’ | ESPN’s Jalen Rose brought to tears in tribute to late mother was originally published on wfnz.com