The King of the Stage is about to make his Verzuz debut.
On Tuesday (June 29), Essence in partnership with Verzuz announced the Essence Fest extension of a Verzuz celebration as Bobby Brown will share the stage with fellow New Jack Swing king Keith Sweat on Thursday (July 1). As expected, fans of both singers are more than excited about the event.
“SURPRISE CELEBRATION!! See y’all THURSDAY!! @KeithSweat vs @KingBobbyBrown,” the popular celebration platform shared on Instagram. “We’re honored to partner with ESSENCE to bring you this special #VERZUZ THURSDAY, July 1st, 5PM PT / 8PM ET.”
Together, the two were among the faces of New Jack Swing in R&B. Brown along with producers and songwriters Babyface and LA Reid created Don’t Be Cruel in 1988 and set a standard for male R&B records. The album contained hit singles such as “Don’t Be Cruel,” “My Prerogative,” “Roni,” “Rock Wit’cha,” and “Every Little Step” and was not only one of the biggest albums of 1988 but also 1989. The album was certified 7x platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.
By comparison, Sweat’s Make It Last Forever album in 1987 helped kickstart New Jack Swing thanks to producer Teddy Riley. The album was certified 3x platinum by the RIAA and included the hit title track as a single as well as “I Want Her,” “Something Just Ain’t Right,” “How Deep Is Your Love,” “Don’t Stop Your Love” and “Right and a Wrong Way.” In 1996, he released his self-titled album with the hit singles “Nobody” and “Twisted” and a year later, he formed the supergroup LSG with Johnny Gill and Gerald Levert
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
See some of the early reactions to the Verzuz below.
- ‘Where My Dogs At?’ TVOne’s ‘Uncensored’ To Air DMX’s Final Interview
- BLM-LA Leader ‘Swatted’ Again After Announcing LAPD Lawsuit, Says Incident Underscores Call to Defund Police
- Happy Birthday Jayda Cheaves! 5 Time She Slayed On The ‘Gram
- Michael K. Williams Cause Of Death Ruled Overdose, Fentanyl Involved
- Attorney: Kelly Price Is Safe & Recovering From COVID At Undisclosed Location
- Mo’Nique Is ‘Aging Like Fine Wine’ In Latest Instagram Pic
- Unbelievable: Former Sex Crimes Prosecutor Actually Signed On To Defend R. Kelly
- Haitian Migrants: Does The U.S. Have A Legal Obligation To Process Asylum Seekers? It’s Complicated
- Rihanna Confirms ‘R9’ Is Coming Soon: ” It’s Going To Have A Completely Different Sound”
- Goodie Mob ft. Big Boi “Prey 4 Da Sheep,” Swae Lee ft. Jhene Aiko “In The Dark” & More | Daily Visuals 9.24.21
- Russell Westbrook To Release Documentary About His Basketball Career
Bobby Brown & Keith Sweat Set To Represent New Jack Swing For Upcoming Verzuz was originally published on myhoustonmajic.com