From New York Daily News:
President Obama came full circle in his final White House press conference, calling on his country not to give up hope as he sought to defend his worldview and legacy.
“I believe in this country. I believe in the American people. I believe that people are more good than bad,” the outgoing president said just before he left the White House podium for the final time. “…At my core I think we’re going to be okay. We just have to fight for it, we have to work for it and not take it for granted…”
Those comments come less than two days before President-elect Donald Trump assumes office amidst great fear from many sectors of society about what could come with him…But even as [Obama] expressed hope for the long-term “trend lines” of society on social acceptance and harmony, he warned about short-term problems. “It’s not just the same old [racial] battles, we’ve got this stew bubbling up that’s people from everywhere,” he said, saying Americans have to do “a better job of treating everyone with basic respect” in the face of increasing diversity.
Obama also said that he is looking forward to taking a break from politics, but promised that he will not go silent after leaving office, reports the New York Times.
10 Reasons We Are Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We’ll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.Source: 1 of 9
2. And let’s not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.Source: 2 of 9
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.Source: 3 of 9
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.Source: 4 of 9
5. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.Source: 5 of 9
6. Plus, he’s all about b-ball.Source: 6 of 9
7. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.Source: 7 of 9
8. … And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.Source: 8 of 9
9. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we’re thankful.Source: 9 of 9
‘We’re Going To Be Okay:’ President Obama Talks Hope was originally published on newsone.com